2006/07/01

Why do I even bother with these duct-taped together, stress inducing nightmares of OSes?

Don't interpret this as support for Microsoft, although it is. Today I boot up my trusty Ubuntu, load up Azureus and my eDonkey client and they all say my "in progress" data is not found. I check on the data drive that I mounted in my "home" to find out more than half the data on one of my drives is gone. Not all of it, if it were the case I would blame it on a failed "mount" attempt. Because mounting a drive in Linux really is an act of faith. If it doesn't work, just reboot. But this one showed only PART of the data (2 folders instead of 10) which, in most normal OSes, means that the rest of the data has been erased. Now that seemed to indicate that I would spend the rest of my vacations running file recovery tools on that drive to pull back what's on them. After a bit of cursing and promises I would never ever deal with these patched up pseudo-OSes again, I decided to just reboot.

Well lo and behold, the data is all back. Safe and Sound. So mounting a drive in Linux isn't an act of faith as I understood it. Thinking it either worked or didn't. It's actually more complex than that. It can partially work, or partially not work. There is probably some complex random algorythm within the mount command that calculates what percentage of the drive to mount depending on the weather. That must be it.

No comments: